Founded in 2010, The Extra Guest has partnerships with Oxfam and SOS Children’s Villages and supports emergency food-aid and sustainable living projects around the world, focussing always on those areas affected most by poverty and famine.
We are an unusual charity since every donation raised (£1, €1, $1, etc.) goes directly to those in greatest need.
WE TAKE NOTHING IN ADMINISTRATION AND COVER ALL OUR RUNNING COSTS OURSELVES.
The Extra Guest Family Directors
In 2009, TEG director Moyra Irving wrote a story in which a group of friends come together to enjoy a sociable meal.
During the course of the dinner a small child appears, holding an empty bowl. As the diners start to notice and greet the little stranger, the child smiles and at once the bowl begins to fill with golden coins.
Everyone realises then that something quite special is happening.
It was this image that inspired Moyra and a group friends to develop the idea of The Extra Guest – a chance for all of us to recognise those in need and to offer the hand of true friendship. By donating a very small amount we can share our good fortune and make a very big difference.
By giving just £1, €1, $1, etc. to this project you help to fund vital food-aid projects around the world so that your meal leaves a lasting and positive legacy.
To create ‘Food for All’ through:
- funding established world-wide end-hunger projects (e.g. via our partners Oxfam, SOS Children’s Villages) and local initiatives such as Food Banks and refugee and homeless centres.
- helping those in poverty to create a sustainable future
- raising awareness of humanity as one and encouraging an ethos of sharing
- promoting the practice of ethical dining (by inviting gratitude offerings following a special meal)
- We organize regular food sharing and music events
- We receive monthly contributions from generous volunteers and donors
- We encourage restaurants and food-outlets to embrace ‘ethical dining’ by donating to The Extra Guest and inviting their diners to do the same
- We promote The Extra Guest at Home (private fund-raising dinner parties, coffee mornings, etc.)
- 10 years on, we continue to make fundraising fun, thanks to our generous volunteers who have organized a host of popular events that include Summer Balls, Bollywood Nights, Murder Mystery Evenings, Food for All parties, Music Festivals (The Extra Fest), and Fashion Fundraisers.